Friday, November 9, 2012

It Is All Surreal . . .

When I grew up I lived in a wonderful little town
called Oceanport.  Our street was right by the
Monmouth Park Race Track.
So I am very familiar with the area.




 
 This is the race track. The grounds are
beautiful. I have only gone inside once.
I am not a betting person. But my
brother loves the place.
 



 
There is a huge parking lot and 2 huge fields
that the race track owned.  When I was a kid
we would always go to the field to run, play
football, exercise and ride out bikes.
More recently it turned into a soccer field.
And the other one turned into senior houses.
 








But I cannot in words explain what the biggest
parking lot has become!   Since Hurricane Sandy
it is called TENT CITY.  Look at these photos.
 








It feels surreal when I drive past it. Thousands
of trucks from other states helping us.
Tent after tent.  It is like a real little city.
 
I feel like I am in a science fiction movie.
 








People walk along rows of large tents Thursday, Nov. 8, 2012, in Oceanport, in Monmouth County, N.J. New Jersey is moving some Superstorm Sandy evacuees from shelters to tent-like housing at Monmouth Park, a racetrack. The facility at Monmouth Park was created to house up to 4,000 out-of-state utility workers and law enforcement officers. State officials say they needed to move the evacuees to the new location temporarily because some buildings used as shelters had to revert to their normal use.

 

 
 
Here are a few photos I took driving into work.
I took them on the fly so they are not so great.
 




Rows and rows of out houses. Tent after tent after tent.






I'll admit today I was feeling a little down hearted about all this.
It seems to get sadder and sadder as the days wear on.
It's like suddenly you have this realization that this is real and it
happened and things will never ever be the same.

I truly don't know how people endure these things and even
harder things in life without Jesus.

I am so thankful my hope is in Him. He holds the future in
His hands. This storm did not take him at all by surprise.

He can be trusted, relied on.  He is faithful !

Tomorrow I am going to bring some donations of hot food,
hangers, paper towels to my old church who was flooded
and who is in a town where about 60% of the people lost
their homes including the post office, town hall and library
and almost all their businesses.

It will do me good to use what little I can offer to
be a blessing to someone else.





No comments:

Post a Comment